Sunday 25 March 2012

Working and studying

We are half-way through the online teaching and learning module.  It feels like we have been doing this for more than six weeks.  It has been tricky making sure that you submit your assignments on time.  This has to be done electronically and there is a cut-off time on the system that allows you to submit.  Having everything online is great in that you don't have to worry about not getting any handouts in class; it is all available online.  You just have to make sure that you read!

That's where the difficult part comes in.  You have to read, but you also have to prepare lessons for the next day, you have to mark any work that comes in, you have to teach and you have to do all the other admin that goes with teaching.  As if that was not enough, heading the Maths department at a big school has all its own admin work as well.  Luckily I was allowed to design the timetable so that I could head off to lectures as soon as the bell went at the end of the school day.

I have been very lucky at home.  My better half prepares meals on the two days that I am at lectures and then I chip in on the other days.  We have headphones for watching television, so that is not a distraction when I am trying to type an assignment.  It does help if everyone at home and work understands what you are going through and they give you plenty of encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. That is very true Jac,support is very important so as to progress well and not worry about cooking and kids's home work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true without support and understanding from school as well as home you can not do it. There is always a pile of notes or material close by and I tend to read and underline as I walk, sit or drinking coffee. TV - what is it. he only news I ge is the morning news on radio in car and the did you hear ... at school. I tend to talk SMS language now. Keep it short and simple.

    ReplyDelete