Sunday 25 March 2012

Plagiarism!

It is the first time that I submitted one of my assignments to an anti-plagiarism program.  I must say that even though I make every effort to ensure proper referencing, it was still gut-wrenching waiting for the program to come back with a report.

It said 6%.  Is that good or bad?  I spoke to one of the library fundis at the university and apparently that's not too bad, especially if the things that the program picked up on was the URLs in my references.

I must say that using Microsoft's referencing tools is very useful.  You need to type in all your references before you start your assignment.  That's the time-consuming part.  Once you're ready, all you have to do is insert a citation whenever you quote an author or cite something someone else said.  At the end of your work all you do is instruct Word to insert your Bibliography.  What a pleasure!

It is so easy to copy someone else's work, but it is just as easy to reference properly.

1 comment:

  1. 6% is excellent. You are right it is easy to reference correct.What a found for example with a task about plagiarism is that everyone had said something in many different ways, even if I thought it up my self (or thought I did) someone said it so I had to reference as there are trillions of very intelligent people who said something long before I did.

    ReplyDelete